Thursday, October 29, 2009

Does this not look too much like...

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't place that call. You have no cell.

…H.A.L. 9000?

It does to me. Motorola’s much-anticipated new Android phone, creatively named Droid, was (sort of) officially announced this week, and will be released Nov. 6th. It’s getting some rave early reviews, but apparently not rave enough that I should switch back to the hell-hole of customer service that is Verizon and drop my perfectly acceptable iPhone for one. This phone looks too much like something Sarah Connor should be worrying about, and not enough like an innovative product for me. Apparently Andriod 2.0 is the bee’s knees, but if you’re putting it in devices that are an all-seeing eye trimmed in black and gold, chances are, I’m not buying it. What happened to the company of the RAZR and the Star-Tac? Is this device really going to shift 50 million units, or become a cultural icon? I can’t see it having a much better fate than the Zune or the Virtual Boy. Now that I think about it, maybe that’s where they got the idea for that that screen graphic from…

No comments:

Post a Comment