Thursday, March 18, 2010

Not feeling the love. Why don't operators give us dates?

Surely in this day and age, companies (the phone operators in this case) no when they’re going to be releasing a product? They have meetings and set targets and probably drink tea and eat biscuits whilst doing so.

So why do they persist in annoying their loyal customers by not telling us things?

I am of course talking about the release date of the HTC Desire. There has been a lot of crap going round the Internet about Vodafone having exclusive rights to the phone, T-Mobile releasing the phone next week and so on but why is everyone else being so quiet?

On my way to buy a second hand iPhone (for a colleague at work – believe me) I decided to take some of this paid time to go around the other mobile phone shops and ask some questions. Get to the bottom of what is happening with regards to release dates for the Desire.

My first stop: The 3 Store.

After waiting 10 minutes for the fat man in front of me to give up trying to make the sales assistant copy his phonebook across to his new phone, I managed to ask the question: “Any idea when you’ll be getting the HTC Desire in stock?”. Admittedly, he was polite in his answer but it was of no help to me: “We’ve been told somewhere between the end of March and beginning of April”. Great, thanks for nothing. :(

So, next stop was Carphonewarehouse. Surely these guys would know a thing or two. I probably should have walked back out when I saw the geek behind the counter playing with his iPhone but I decided to persist and try and get the truth. Again, I ask: “Any idea when you’ll be getting the HTC Desire in?”. After a lecture on how Vodafone will have it exclusively first blah blah blah he then said “normally the other operators follow up shortly afterwards”. Even less helpful and I had just wasted 5 minutes of my life which I shall never be able to reclaim.

Next up was T-Mobile. I’d heard that someone somewhere had managed to have a play on a Desire in a T-Mobile store (probably in London) so I thought I’d give it a go. After looking round their stands of ancient and crappy looking phones I decided to ask the spotty man behind the counter. “Any idea when you’ll be getting the HTC Desire in?” . . . . *Pause* . . . . “Sorry, I’m not sure if we’ll be getting that in or not, I haven’t heard of it yet”. Me: “WHAT?! What the hell is wrong with you man?! Have you been under a rock for the past month?!!” Well that’s what I’d liked to have said but instead I decided to cut my losses there and then and just thank him and walk out.

So, my mission was a failure. I am still none the wiser as to when I’ll get my Desire :(

[Via http://desirefanatics.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment